October 2017 Wrap-Up & Favorites

October Wrap-Up & Favorites
Source

Hello fellow readers, it's now November and the end of 2017 is near. October was a hectic month. There were a lot of readathons going on, but I only participated in one of them. Simply because I spent most of my time taking care of my adult life (registering for tax, health care, and whatnot). Anyway, I ended up reading 7 books. Four of them are graphic novels and one of them is a 500-ish pages book. I call it an accomplishment. Here are the books I read in October.


Books read in October


Living Dead Girl Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott (★★★)
Living Dead Girl was a tough book to read. It's short but it tackles a dark theme. It's a book about child kidnapping and abuse. The sad reality is what happens in this book could happen to anyone in real life. This book talks about the issue that most people avoid to talk about. If you want to know more about my thoughts on this book, I've written a full review of this book.
The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife – Audrey Niffenegger (★★★)
The Time Traveler's Wife is one of the books that's on my bucket list. It has quite an unusual romance story. I'm a sucker for romance story, especially the one which has science fiction and philosophical questions in it. I have so much to talk about this book, I've also written a full review of it.
Kitchen #1 Kitchen #1 - Jo Joo-Hee (★★★★)
Kitchen is a graphic novel which revolves around food. It has several short stories and each focuses on one main dish. The author is a Korean so the foods that are the main attraction in this graphic novel are Korean food. It's fun and heart warming at times.
Kitchen #2 Kitchen #2 - Jo Joo-Hee (★★★★)
This graphic novel follows the same theme as the first. The same as the first one, it's a fun and easy to read graphic novel.
Kitchen #3 Kitchen #3 - Jo Joo-Hee (★★★★)
Kitchen #3 still has the same theme as the first two graphic novels. The only difference is this one also includes international food. It seems like the author has travelled a lot because she incorporated some travelling stories. I enjoyed reading this series. I hope there will be more.
American Born Chinese American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang (★★★★)
American Born Chinese is a graphic novel which consists of three stories. Those stories don't seem related at first, but later we'll see that there's an underlying connection between them. Again, I've written a review of this graphic novel if you want to check it out.
American Born Chinese The Graveyard Apartment - Mariko Koike (★★)
The Graveyard Apartment is the only horror book that I read in October. I initially planned to read horror books to get in the mood of Halloween since it's October. It didn't happen. At least I read this one. I thought it would only be fair if the only horror book I read in October was a Japanese horror book. I mean, Japanese horror never failed me. This one however, doesn't exceed my expectation. The premise sounds great, but the execution do not. I've written a full review of this book if you want to know why this book doesn't meet my expectation.

Review Posts in October
The History of Love - Nicole Krauss

October Favorites


Books

Kitchen series

TV Shows

The Good Place
Source

One of my friends recommended this show to me. She described it as a comedy show and I was in a desperate need for some laughs in my life. I think The Good Place is such a clever show. It disguises itself as a comedy show, but it's more than that. It blends a little bit of mystery in it. I don't want to spoil anything and ruin it for you but if what I mentioned sound like your thing, try checking this show out.

Music

In October, I listened to a lot of 70s and 80s songs. October was a rough month for me. Listening to old songs is one of the things I do to comfort myself. So if you're feeling nostalgic, feel free to listen to this playlist.
Dewey's 24 hour readathon

This readathon is probably the highlight of my October. It's the one day where I don't have to think about anything other than reading. In my timezone, the event started at 7 pm on Saturday, October 21st and ended at 7 pm the next day. It was perfect. I wasn't up reading for the entire 24 hours, but I got enough sleep and I woke up early. I started the day with reading and I did some errands with my father. I finished one book and four graphic novels in this readathon. That felt good. I've never been that happy for the last few months. I swear that day was the best day in October for me.

There you have it! My belated October wrap-up. My life was kind of messy and I didn't have the time to organize stuffs or post anything on this blog. But I'm taking control of my life back now, so I hope everything will turn out well. Anyway, that's my October. How about you? did you have fun on Halloween?

No comments :

Post a Comment