[Review] Remnants - Carolyn Arnold

Title of Book: Remnants
Series: Brandon Fisher FBI Series #6
Author: Carolyn Arnold
Publisher: Hibbert & Stiles Publishing Inc.
Publication Date: April 11th, 2017
Language: English
Format: ARC
Pages: 284



All that remains are whispers of the past…
When multiple body parts are recovered from the Little Ogeechee River in Savannah, Georgia, local law enforcement calls in FBI agent and profiler Brandon Fisher and his team to investigate. But with the remains pointing to three separate victims, this isn’t proving to be an open-and-shut case.
With no quick means of identifying the deceased, building a profile of this serial killer is more challenging than usual. How are these targets being selected? Why are their limbs being severed and their bodies mutilated? And what is it about them that is triggering this person to murder?
The questions compound as the body count continues to rise, and when a torso painted blue and missing its heart is found, the case takes an even darker turn. But this is only the beginning, and these new leads draw the FBI into a creepy psychological nightmare. One thing is clear, though: The killing isn’t going to stop until they figure it all out. And they are running out of time…



Thank you to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book.
Several body parts including arms and legs are washed over a river in Savannah, Georgia. When local police suspects it as a work of a serial killer, they call BAU team from FBI to investigate.
Remnants is the sixth book of Brandon Fisher FBI series. Although it's a part of a series, reading this book alone won't take us away much from the plot. One book revolves around a specific case. So don't worry if you haven't read book number one until five. However, it does affect how I perceive the characters.
Remnants is a police procedural story. We're provided with a case and as we go along the story, we'll discover more clues to solve the case. Although I'm not an expert at forensic, I can tell that the author did research for this book. Besides the crime scene clues, the crime in this book is also approached from behavioral stand point. Which makes sense, because after all the main protagonist of this series, Brandon Fisher, is a part of FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) team. This leads me to believe that this book is similar to TV show Criminal Minds.
Like I said before, the main hero in this book is the BAU team from FBI which consists of Brandon Fisher, Paige, Zach, and the team leader, Jack. The story itself is narrated by Brandon Fisher. Based on his narration, I know that the team has gone through so much and they have grown as characters. Again, it makes sense since this is the sixth book in the series. Sadly, I don't know how the characters developed because I didn't read book one until five. I also don’t know the connection between characters. Even though sometimes there are events being referenced by Brandon, it doesn’t give me the same impact as when I experience or read it firsthand.
It was so easy to compare this book to an episode of Criminal Minds. I even feel as if I was watching one while reading this book. I often associate the characters in this book to the BAU team in Criminal Minds. For example, I see Hotch in Jack, I see Emily Prentiss in Paige, and I see a combination of Dr. Spencer Reid and Derek Morgan in Zach. Don't get me wrong, I don’t intend to compare these characters. I do want to see the characters in this book for what they are. But I'm not invested enough in them, so I associated these characters to those familiar to me. In this case, Criminal Minds' BAU team.
All in all, it’s an entertaining read. The mystery in the case is slowly built, but it’s fast enough that you won’t feel bored. Remnants can be read as a standalone book, but if you’re interested in the main characters, I suggest reading the series from book one. I recommend this book for those who enjoy reading crime/mystery book.  
 

No comments :

Post a Comment