[Review] Bossypants - Tina Fey

Title of Book: Bossypants
Author: Tina Fey
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Year: 2012
Language: English
Format: Paperback
Pages: 289




Tina Fey is one of the world's greatest comic writers and performers. Here she reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected - you're no one until someone calls you bossy.



Bossypants is a memoir by the one and only Tina Fey. For those of you who don’t know Tina Fey, she’s an actress/comedian/writer/producer, notably known for her work in Saturday Night Love (SNL) and 30 Rock. Wikipedia probably will give you her short biography better than I will. Anyway, I love her works especially 30 Rock. I adore the show. So of course I was so excited to read this book.
In Bossypants, Tina Fey tells the reader her story growing up and her journey to be who she is (or was in 2011, I think). She described her experience working on SNL, which is where she learns her work ethic that would be the basis of her ‘bossypants’ principle. She also explained a bit about improv. In fact, there’s a bit section in the book about the basic and tips about improv. See, I’m not good at small talk and I’m just a socially awkward person. So I believe that learning improv would help me with that. So I really appreciate this improv section. I do find it helpful.
My favorite part of this book is of course the 30 Rock part. 30 Rock helped me get through my first year of college. It has a special place in my heart. Of course, I was intrigued to read about behind the scene of the show. I must say it was interesting reading how the original idea of the show was developed and how it turned out to be a critically acclaimed show. 30 Rock even won some awards. It’s kind of eye-opening too reading that Tina Fey’s real life is pretty much the same as Liz Lemon’s. Being a writer for a weekly comedy show is hard. It took a lot of her time and might sound stressful, but it’s what she wants to do. So I guess it’s worth it.  
Since this book’s main ‘theme’ is bossypants, most part of this book revolves around her struggles juggling between work and her personal life. So, if you want to know more about her personal views or opinion, I don’t think this book is the right one for you. However, if you like her previous works and enjoy her comedy, I recommend this book. Though this book is kind of not personal, it is still written in typical Tina Fey’s voice. In other words, if you like her comedy, you’ll find Bossypants funny and entertaining.


No comments :

Post a Comment