Top Ten Books You Picked Up on a Whim


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature originally created by The Broke and The BookishThis week's topic for Top Ten Tuesday is ten books you picked up without really knowing much about. I don't usually pick books without knowing what's it really about. So these are a few of books that I picked up on a whim. These books are in no particular order.


1. Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
I knew nothing about this book except that this is a young adult urban fantasy novel. I knew that this book has been around longer than Twilight (which I believe was the only young adult urban fantasy I had read). I decided to pick it up because I haven't read many young adult urban fantasy novel, so why not. I ended up enjoying it.

2. Torso by Brian Michael Bendis & Marc Andreyko
All I knew about this graphic novel was that it's about a serial killer, nicknamed Cleveland Torso Murderer. I love murder mystery, criminal/ psychological thriller so of course I picked it up. This graphic novel also includes some real photo and newspaper clippings from the real case. It was fascinating.

3. Girls in the Dark by Akiyoshi Rikako
I picked this book because the cover is creepy. The girl in the cover reminds me of Sadako from The Ring. Your typical asian girl with long dark hair. ha. I thought it's a horror book. It's more of a psychological thriller book which is right up my alley. I love this book.

4 Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
I knew nothing about this book but I heard that Banana Yoshimoto is a popular author in Japan. I found a copy of this book in the library so I read it. It was a beautiful book. I'm considering buying a copy so I can reread it.

5 The Ship of Brides by Jojo Moyes
I've heard about her other work, Me Before You but I haven't read it. But because of that particular book, this author seems so popular which is why I decided to request this book at Netgalley. Man, it didn't disappoint me.

6 Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
This book just happened to be available to read for free at Pulseit a few years back. I knew nothing about it. I took my chance and I enjoyed reading this book. It was intense and frustrating at times. It was also twisted.

7 The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
The Real of Possibility is the first book by David Levithan that I've read. I didn't remember why I picked this book. Probably because of the cover. I mean, I didn't know what this book is about. Turns out, it's a beautiful book.

8 Out by Natsuo Kirino
Before I read this book, I read Kirino's other book called Grotesque. It was a dark psychological thriller book. She has a way with twisted tale. I picked this book not knowing what it's about. Only knowing that based on the previous book I read by her that I was going to love it. I did.

9 Dark Water by Koji Suzuki
I knew that there's a horror movie called Dark Water. I didn't know that it's based on a book, on one of the short stories from this book actually. I haven't watched the movie. I didn't even watch the trailer because I was too scared (don't judge) but I was so intrigued. What's the harm? It's not like suddenly there will be a girl with long dark hair emerges from a book. Right? All I'm saying is that this book scared me in a good way.

10 Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon
Don't Breathe a Word is a book about fairies. That's all I know. It's more than that. It was thrilling and intense. The beginning is a bit slow but this book is full of surprise. I enjoyed reading this book.

So there you have it. Have you read any of these books? What books did you pick up on a whim? Feel free to leave your answer in the comment section. Have a nice day!

No comments :

Post a Comment