Top Ten Scariest Book for Halloween Reads


It's Tuesday! which means it's time for Top Ten Tuesday. Ooh I miss writing Top Ten Tuesday list. This week is a Halloween themed freebie week. So for today I'm gonna show you my top ten scariest books I've read.



      Technically, The Walking Dead is a graphic novel but I will include it in this list anyway. It's a graphic novel about a group of survivor on a zombie apocalypse. Zombie is a scary creature and the atmosphere of the world after the apocalypse in this graphic novel is scary. Not only the zombies (or walkers) that we should be afraid of, but also the human. No one to trust. Thank God it's not real or won't be real, right?
9. 1984 by George Orwell
     1984 is not a horror novel. It's a dystopian book where the government is totalitarian and people have no privacy. They have Big Brother watching their every move. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want to live in that world. It's scary.
    The Queen of The Damned is the third book in the Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. I include the third book in the list because of all the books in the series that I've read, I think this is the scariest yet. This is the book where Rice explained the mythology and the origin of her vampires. It's quite gory.
7. Dracula by Bram Stoker
    Classic horror novel about blood sucking creature. Should I explain more?
6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    Again, classic horror novel.
5. The Mist by Stephen King
    It won't be the scariest list if I don't include a Stephen King's book. Instead of the more obvious choices like The Shining or It, I'm going with a shorter alternative. The Mist might not be as big as The Shining or It, but it's scary too. It's about a bunch of people stuck in a supermarket when the city is filled with mist. There's something lurking in the mist, waiting to take them one by one. It's intense and good.
4. Out by Natsuo Kirino
    Out is about four women who are involved in a gruesome murder. One of them killed her husband in a spontaneous rage and the others are trying to help her dispose the body. They dismembered the body and distribute them to several garbage cans around the city. Of course somebody made a mistake by dumping the body parts in a garbage can which located in a crowded public place. The body parts are discovered by the police and those four start panicking and turn to each other to make their way out. This book has become one of my favorite books. It's crazy intense and it's soooo good. I highly recommend this one.
3. Dark Water by Koji Suzuki
    Dark Water is a short story collection. So instead of one, we get seven scary stories. Not all of them are scary actually. But they all have the same mysterious and creepy atmosphere that will make you get goose bumps. The first short story in this book, Dark Water or Floating Water has been adapted into movies. It has Japanese version and American version. If you're living alone in an apartment, I don't recommend watching or reading Dark Water.
2.The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
   Just like Dark Water, The Exorcist has been adapted into a movie too. I was too afraid to watch the movie so I decided to read the book. It's full of profanity and gore. The good thing about reading the book is I wouldn't have to watch the iconic spider walk. Cause I'm not sure if I would be able to go to sleep after.
1. Ring (Ring #1) by Koji Suzuki
    My number one is of course Ring by Koji Suzuki; From the same author who wrote Dark Water. You must have known the movie first. A girl with long hair who crawled out of a TV? I knew the movie first too. I remember after watching it I couldn't go to sleep at night. Then I found out about the book and I read it. Holy moly it's just as scary as the movie. I even expected Sadako to come out crawling from the book at any moment. After reading the book, I couldn't be home alone. Read it at your own risk.

So there it is. Even though I'm the type of person who can get scared easily , I still like reading horror novel. I would love to see your horror themed list or scary recommendation. Feel free to leave your thoughts or a link to your post in the comment section.

No comments :

Post a Comment