[Review] Every Day - David Levithan

Title of Book: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Ember
Publication Year: 2013
Language: English
Format: Paperback
Pages: 324



I wake up.
Immediately, I have to figure out who I am. It's not just the body - opening my eyes and discovering whether the skin on my arm is light or dark, whether my hair is long or short, whether I'm fat or thin, boy or girl, scarred or smooth. The body is the easiest thing to adjust to, if you're used to waking up in a new one each morning. It's the life, the context of the body, that can be hard to grasp.
Every day I am someone else. I am myself - I know I am myself - but I am also someone else.
It has always been like this.



A wakes up in different body every day. Today A could be a girl who looks as gorgeous as Beyonce. While tomorrow A could be another girl or a boy who play soccer at school. One day A woke up in a body of a boy named Justin. A was trying to live the day acting as normal as Justin can be. But when A met a girl named Rhiannon, who is Justin’s girlfriend, A knew that life wouldn’t be the same again.
Every Day has an intriguing premise. I think the idea of a soul jumping around different people’s bodies is so fascinating, though the concept might be confusing at first. I mean, you must be wondering how did this A even born? How about the parents? Etc. But you know what? That’s not the point. That’s not what this book is about. It’s not a science fiction book. Once you grasp what the real message here, there’s no need to worry about such things.
In this book, Levithan presents his main character in its most raw form. He defines A not by its gender or appearance but by its soul, which could be tricky. Because we are so used to identify people by asking questions such as how they look, what they are wearing, where they live, or who are their families. While I believe Levithan wants us to see and understand A as A, regardless what A looks like or whatever trinkets that stick to A. The question is can we do that? Can we not judge people by any kind of label that is put to them? Those are the theme that I think Levithan wrote about in Every Day.
“What is it about the moment you fall in love? How can such a small measure of time contain such enormity?”
The plot line of this book focuses on A and Rhiannon’s connection. They both are teenagers seeking for love, though one expects more from the other. A loves without limitations, while Rhiannon is still having trouble accepting A’s situation. What A asks for is unconditional love, which would be difficult to deal with if you’re still a teenager.   
A’s life story is so poignant; it provides me a new perspective on how to see life. It’s a unique book. It touches on tough issue but executed in a way that is so easy to read and to understand. I find that rare to see in YA books. Levithan’s writing is so beautiful I put many tabs to mark my favorite passages from the book. The ending is also perfect. It’s bittersweet and It shows how much A has grown. Every Day is definitely becoming one of my favorite books of all time. I highly recommend this book.

“I didn't mean to do it. I didn't mean to fall in love with you. But it happened. And I can't erase it. I can't ignore it. I have lived my whole life like this, and you're the thing that has made me wish it could stop.”


No comments :

Post a Comment